Monday, August 11, 2008

My Baby Buzzard Boy

Bubbard, bubbard, come get Shoosie! I used to say that in retort to my sister, Susie, who would hold me and rock me, and call to the buzzards to come get me. I guess that's why she's my second favorite sister.

So no wonder when THIS happened:

I took this first picture about three weeks ago. Here's Baby Buzzard - perched with one of his other two siblings. There they were, three buzzards perched atop our gazebo. I took many shots, first thru the window, then opened the window, then finally went outside and got more pics. They didn't fly away until I hollered at them and told them it was ok to go home, but to be sure and come back soon. They finally flew down to a clump of oak trees not too far below.



Then, today, he came back. It was raining (hopefully it will rain some more!) and he perched up on the power pole outside my office window. I guess he chose that spot, because just below it is our trash dumpster, inside which contains the remains of a dead armadillo which my dogger had rubbed around in TWICE. Pew-wee! BB took a nice long bath in the rain, and I'll be darned if he STILL isn't there right now. That's been over an hour. His tail feathers are still quite short, so I'm guessing since he's all wet, he's afraid to fly away, or else he just likes the stinky smell. Here's a picture of him flapping his wings to dry off.



Anyway, I just love him! And he's still there!

Edit: I posted this at 2:54PM and he finally flew home to roost at 8:13PM - you do the math - he stayed up there a long time!

No comments: